Brake failure and replacement

Pick a topic, any topic!
But if your topic fits into a more specific topic category, you are better off posting your topic there.
TOPIC!
kieveryuu

Brake failure and replacement

Postby kieveryuu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

The brake on my Pro GT has been finicky and frustrating. This past week it became increasingly unreliable until completely failing to maintain tension and provide any breaking on my Friday afternoon commute. This prompted me to stop at the bike shop on the way back home.

As soon as my Urb-e was on the table the brake fell apart. Probably would have on my ride earlier in the day had I not worked on it the evening before. The repair shop guys were not impressed. A little while later, and for not too much money, I left the shop with a new Shimano caliper replacing the OEM brake.

During my commute today the new brake worked nicely. In addition to being more substantial the pads are of higher quality such that the squeak and screech is gone while breaking.

Anyone else replace their brake? If so, for what reason and how long after taking possession of your Urb-e?
NoS
Site Admin

Re: Brake failure and replacement

Postby NoS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 am

Pics or it didn't happen!
:D :mrgreen:
kieveryuu

Postby kieveryuu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Am sorry to say that I did not get a picture of the brake in its several pieces as I was directly engaged in helping with the process. Really wish I had gotten a picture as it was nearly as interesting as it was disappointing.
NoS
Site Admin

Postby NoS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:22 am

I'm more curious to see what you have now!
What brake pads does it use?
The thing with these things is that you don't really need awesome brake components because even the stock ones are enough to lock them up, that is of course assuming they don't fall apart!
:lol:
kieveryuu

Postby kieveryuu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Nos, the new brake continues to work nicely and is a Shimano Brm495:
photo website hosting
NoS
Site Admin

Postby NoS » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 pm

OOOoooo... looks nice too!
Thanks for the update!
Some day I'll think about updating the brakes so that will help.
Honestly, up until now I've been looking at "down grading" to hub brakes for 2 reasons:
1) Bending rotors is something I'm tired of.
2) Braking power from the stock brakes is over powered.

I'll report back about the drums... assuming I survive.
:lol:

Return to “General Talk”