Pro fenders are coming!

Look here for updates about this forum, members, and URB-E news in general.
NoS
Site Admin

Re: Pro fenders are coming!

Postby NoS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm

Dave... we expect a comprehensive review!
:D
kieveryuu

Postby kieveryuu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Received notice that my fenders have shipped. Looking forward to giving them a try.
Dave-V

Postby Dave-V » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 pm

My Pro fenders arrived today :D

I can't road-test them because we have 3 inches of new snow north of Chicago, but here's how they look in the basement at least.

IMG_3987.JPG

Pretty minimal shipping; no instructions, some wrap and only a couple of plastic struts to keep them from breaking. But they arrived in fine condition.

For the Pro at least they just snap into place; held on by the plastic shell which has molded raised parts to fit into the steel frame. So mounting takes about 30 seconds.

Here's how they look on my wheels. Riding around my basement at least I can tell that the rear fender will rub on the wheel especially on any minimal bump which probably isn't a real issue but I may try to raise it up a little. And I'm not sure if they reach far enough to really block all spray, but that review will have to wait until I can get it outside!

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave-V

Postby Dave-V » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

A few more pics:

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NoS
Site Admin

Postby NoS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for the excellent details and pics!
I'm they had to create really tight clearances so that it still rolls when folded.
From the look of it the spray coverage should be really good and I'd only think that the toes or trailer would get hit if anything.
I love the completely snap on design!
:D
kieveryuu

Postby kieveryuu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 am

My new fenders arrived a week ago and I put them on over the weekend during a gap in the PNW weather which means that today was the first real test of the new equipment and this morning I find myself really rather frustrated. It was not actively raining during my commute but it had been through the night so the roads and trails were thoroughly wet with many shallow puddles of varying size.

Arriving at work I spent ten minutes cleaning road muck off of my shoulder bag, jacket, and (primarily right) shoes.
Question: Did they *&%^ test the fenders?
While I was slightly concerned, I withheld my speculative opinion until after a proper usage test and now all of my concerns have been proven justified. As visible in the photo below that I am quoting from Dave, the tolerances are so tight, the form so exacting, to the size of the tire, that the rear fender does not do its job. The photo below illustrates the same issue with my rear fender, it skews slightly to the right exposing a thin edge of left side tire. This is why the left side of my bag was more wet and dirty than the right. Had Urban626 tested the (production) fenders - I am guessing they did not because - they would have noticed that additional material extending an 1/8th inch further on either side would resolve this aspect of the problem. For the front fender as well. They would also have noticed that an additional 1/2 inch of material extending rearward around the rear tire would resolve the rest of the issue. Had there been thorough testing, and not (likely) only of a shop made prototype, my bag would not have been splattered to soaking wet and covered in road detritus.

My plan this weekend, eating into my original plans, is to get out the heatgun and see if I can flare the rear fender somewhat and a-fix an extension to improve coverage and see if I can manipulate the front fender a little to the same end.

At least the front kickstand also installed this weekend works nicely.

Adding: the overall design is really nice and the snap in feature is great. After waiting ~7 months for these fenders I am saddened they work only in part. My frustration is amplified by disappointment because the fenders are so close to a great product and they missed in such a simple and easy to address way.

Dave-V wrote:A few more pics:

IMG_3992.JPG

Dave
Dave-V

Postby Dave-V » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am

kieveryuu, I'm sorry that you had to endure that but thank you for the feedback.

I haven't been able to road-test mine yet because we've had about a foot of new snow in several waves since I installed mine. But after your experience I'll be looking to rig up some fender flares or mini mud flaps for sure! Wonder if black duct tape would work well enough :D

Dave
kieveryuu

Postby kieveryuu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:45 pm

With my DIY fenders, I actually had surprisingly good service when I used black electrical tape after cleaning the surfaces with a little high proof clear alcohol.

A photo (for Nos) of my rear fender after my morning commute:
photo website hosting
NoS
Site Admin

Postby NoS » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Is that spray coming from front or back? Being that it looks like there is spray all over... I'm having trouble imagining where it is coming from.
When I was modifying my homemade ones, I would keep wiping it down to see where it was coming from and tack on little extra pieces to finally get it all covered.
Those fenders do look clean though!

Return to “News”